The Lifeguard is responsible for guarding their area of responsibility, responding to any level of incident around the entire facility, enforcing our rules fairly and politely, checking and maintaining pool chemicals, being responsive to member and guest requests, ensuring member safety, being patient and enthusiastic while teaching and holding productive lessons; setting up and cleaning up lesson station, maintaining communication and relationships with their clients or parents of their students, and other tasks assigned by the Aquatics Manager and Lead Aquatics Staff.
Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
• Work shifts as a Lifeguard/ Swim Instructor and follow the expectations of both positions.
• Maintain constant surveillance and visually scan assigned area of responsibility every 10 seconds. Walk the area to monitor activities, provide instructions, and prevent accidents.
• Provide general information on pool operations to members. Caution swimmers regarding unsafe practices and safety hazards, enforce pool rules and regulations.
• Respond to all illness and injury incidents around the entire pool facility immediately and appropriately. This includes, but not limited to performing Lifeguarding skills, First Aid, CPR, and other until arrival of emergency medical services.
• Rescue swimmers in danger of drowning.
• Maintain a clean, safe and orderly pool, deck, Aquatics Office, and Locker rooms. Inspect facilities regularly and report any unsafe conditions/equipment to supervisor or facilities manager immediately.
• Perform pool chemical checks at designated times.
• Keep accurate records of pool usage, chemical levels, pool closures, etc.
• Attend and participate in all Mandatory Staff Meetings and Trainings.
• Promote Aquatic Programming.
• Hold productive and engaging 30 minute lessons.
• Set up and clean up lesson station.
• Keep accurate and timely records of all lessons taught, purchased, scheduled.
• Communicate openly and regularly with supervisor and team members.
• Work together as a team with other Aquatics Staff and other departments.
• Be the center’s "goodwill" ambassador and greet and assist members and guests.
• Perform with a high level of customer service and ensuring a positive customer experience.
• Maintain a professional appearance and demeanor, including abiding by uniform requirements.
• Other related duties may be assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
• Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations. Good decision-maker.
• Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
• Understand and abide by center’s customer service standards and procedures.
• Swimming experienced preferred
• Maintain personal physical endurance and agility necessary to perform job functions.
• ARC (American Red Cross) Lifeguarding certification taken at an outdoor pool
• ARC (American Red Cross) First Aid certification
• ARC (American Red Cross) CPR/AED for the Professional Lifeguard certification
• Minimum 15 years of age
• Pre-employment/Employment testing of lifeguarding skills and knowledge (including but not limited to: swim 300 yards non- stop, ability to tread water for 2 minutes without hands, back-boarding skills, swim 20 yards – pick up 10 lb brick off bottom and swim it back within 1 minute and 40 seconds, lifeguard written test, etc)
• Recertification for ARC(American Red Cross) done in house
• Ability to lift a person off the bottom and out of the water (average weight 150 lbs).
• Perform all skills required for Lifeguard, First Aid, and CPR certifications and in-service trainings
• Ability to stand or sit for long periods of time in outside air temperatures and conditions
• Comfortable in water
• While performing duties of this job, employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hand to finger, handle, or feel; reach with arms and hands. Employee must be able to talk, hear, taste, smell and see (both near and far). Occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch.
• Outdoor weather conditions with little to no temperature control, is routinely exposed to the sun, may be exposed to extreme heat, cold, wind and rain; works on uneven and/or slippery surfaces and is periodically exposed to hazardous conditions/situations.
Tuesday, Thursday: 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm
Sunday 12:30pm – 7:00pm
Friday 5:30pm – 9:00pm
Saturday 8:00am – 5:00pm
Sunday 12:30pm – 7:00pm